Yes, the library currently has two Notaries Public on staff at the Reference Desk. Please call ahead to make sure that one will be available for you. There is no fee for the service. However, patrons are limited to five items notarized per person per day.
You must show proof of address and a picture identification that verifies your current address. A driver’s license, car registration or piece of mail with a cancelled stamp are examples of acceptable forms of identification.
You may use your new card immediately. However, you are limited on your first use to 4 items only 1 of which may be a video, DVD, or CD.
Your card will be up for renewal every 12 months. At that time, you will be asked to show proof of address. Do not discard your card as you will be using the same card for multiple renewals.
Books, magazines, and CDs $.20 per day
DVD and Videos $1.00 per day
Maximum fine on a book, magazine or CD is $6.00
Maximum fine on a DVD or video is $10.00
Lost items will be assessed at full replacement value plus a processing fee.
If a patron’s fines are above $5.00 or there are lost materials on the card, they may not check out any materials or have use of the library’s computers.
During normal business hours, please return items on the counter on the side of the Circulation Desk. You do not need to wait in line to return your items.
If the library is closed, you may return most items in the Book Drop in the front of the building near the flagpole. Please do not place DVDs, CDs or videos in the Book Drop as this may damage them and you will be responsible for the cost of replacing them.
You may return books from this library to any other library which is part of the Ocean State Libraries network and you may return other Ocean State Libraries books here.
You must return DVDs and videos to the library from which you borrowed them.
For out-of-state residents, there are two options for getting a library card. First, there is a Local Use Only card which costs $25 per year, and allows the card holder to check out Woonsocket Harris Public Library materials only as well as use of the computer labs. Second, there is the Ocean State Libraries card which costs $115 per year. This card allows the card holder to check out materials from all of the members of the Ocean State Libraries network.
The Library’s meeting rooms are available for reservation by residents, property owners, and employees of organizations and businesses – with a current Library card in good standing. Meeting room use is for civic, cultural, educational or enrichment type programs or events. Commercial enterprises of any type, soliciting, lobbying, fund raising, auctions or sales are not permitted. Meetings held at the Library are scheduled only during regular Library hours and are open to the public. Library sponsored events will take precedence over all others. The Director/Assistant Director has the discretion to deny applications for cause.
To reserve the Program Room, please visit the Circulation Desk or call the library’s main phone number, 401-769-9044, and you will be directed to the appropriate staff person. Please try to make reservations as far in advance as possible as the room is a very popular space in the city. There is no fee to use the Program Room.
1. To reserve the room, fill out an application at the circulation desk. However, you may make tentative reservations by telephone. The Director has the discretion to waive written applications for previous users of the room.
2. The room is booked on a first come first served basis.
3. A group or agency may not reserve the room in advance more than three times in one month.
4. A group or agency may not reserve the room in advance, at the same time each month, for more than three consecutive months.
5. A group or agency may not reserve the room more than five times within a year (unless it is an official library sponsored program).
6. No admission fee may be charged, nor any collection taken. Events held in conjunction with the library may charge a refundable registration fee and/or a fee for the cost of supplies.
7. Memberships and dues payment may not be solicited.
8. The Director, Assistant Director, or Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to approve any literature distributed.
9. SMOKING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
10. The library is NOT responsible for loss of, or damage to, any items left unattended in the program room.
11. Cancellation notice is appreciated.
12. Children under 12 may not be left unattended in the library during a meeting.
13. The serving of refreshments is allowed, but we ask that you please be careful of spills and crumbs.
14. The kitchen area and refrigerator may be used but should be returned to the condition in which they were found.
15. Fire regulations require no more than 70 persons.
16. If fire alarm sounds, YOU MUST QUICKLY EXIT, regardless of whether it is a false alarm. Please use the program room’s marked exit doors.
Most library programs are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.
Due to popular demand and available space, program registration for events put on by the Children’s Department is only open to Woonsocket residents one week before the program date. Nonresidents are welcome to sign up during the week before the program date, unless otherwise noted, and will be admitted if space is available.
Computer classes are limited to six students per class. Registration is at the Reference Desk.
Programs not requiring registration are open to all. Programs may be subject to change or cancellation and may fill quickly.
You need an Ocean State Libraries (OSL) library card in good standing in order to use the computers in the library. If you have fines over $5.00, you will need to pay enough to bring your fines below $5.00 before you will be given access to a computer. Lost materials need to be paid off completely before you may use a computer. Patron’s time on the computers is managed by Envisionware software. If all of the computers are being used, patrons can reserve the next available computer by going to the Print Release station to make the request.
You may renew an item one time provided the item is not on reserve for another person, and it is not identified on the front cover as a “new” item.
You may renew in person or by phone. To renew by phone, you must have your Ocean State Libraries card number available when you call. Please call either the Circulation Desk at 401-769-9044, or the Ocean State Libraries Item Renewal Hotline at 401-736-0965. This hotline is available 24 hours a day. You may also click on the link MY ACCOUNT, log in using your library card number and renew your items.
You may pay fines or fees by either mailing a check to the library as specified on the letter the library sent you, you may pay the fines in person at the library by cash or check, or you may click on the pay fines and fees link on the website or on one of the public access computers in the library and pay with your credit card.
Join The Woonsocket Community And Sign-Up For Our Newsletter