After it was decided that the library had long outgrown its space in the Harris Institute Building , a new building to house the library was constructed in the Social Flatlands on Clinton Street beginning May 17, 1973. Construction was completed in 1974. A mild controversy arose when a Mrs. Jellison and others proposed that the new library be named the Woonsocket Public Library since the building had been made possible by public funds. However, Mrs. Phyllis Thomas of the Woonsocket Historical Society insisted that the name “Harris” remain to honor the Harris Institute’s founder, Edward Harris. The two factions compromised, and decided upon the title of the Woonsocket Harris Public Library. The building was designed in a style by William Warner and Associates to capture the essence of Woonsocket ‘s historic mills. The Woonsocket Harris Public Library was dedicated on October 20, 1974. The Head Librarian of the era was Miss Doris Chapdelaine, who worked at the library from 1942 to 1976. After her retirement, the Board of Trustees named the library’s west wing reading area “The Doris Chapdelaine Reading Room” in her honor.
The city’s second branch library, the Fairmount Branch, opened in January 1998. It was created to serve the children of the Fairmount section of the city who might not have regular access to the main library on Clinton Street . The Fairmount Branch Library was located on 18 Memorial Drive. The Fairmount Branch closed on March 31, 2007.